Astroglide is a water-based personal lubricant that is designed to mimic your natural vaginal lubrication. It was the first widely available personal lubricant specifically designed for intensifying sexual pleasure and sensitivity (in the past, lubricants were only used for medical reasons). Astroglide is slippery and acts as a moisturizer for vaginal dryness. It lasts longer than some other water-based lubricants and is water-soluble and petroleum free.
- Long-lasting personal lubricant
- Water-based personal lubricant, so it can be used safely with latex condoms and sex toys
- Slippery and thin consistency — so less is needed per application
- Distinctly sweet taste
- Does not contain spermicide
- Available in two glycerin and paraben-free formulas
- The bottles have a flip-top cap for easy, mess-free dispensing
- Care is needed while applying — too much may get sticky during use
- Some users may not like the thin consistency
- Though it has a sweet taste, some people may be bothered by it
- Original formula contains glycerin and paragons, so if you are prone to yeast infections, chemical sensitivities, or allergic reactions, you may not want to use Astroglide.
There are six options of Astroglide water-based lubricants available.
Astroglide Liquid: this is Astroglide’s top-selling formula. It is much thinner than gel-based lubricants and gives you a silky smooth sensation that lubricates and moisturizes. It also washes off clean with water. Astroglide Liquid comes in two sizes – 2.5oz and 5oz.
- Astroglide Liquid Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 15, Methylparaben, and Propylparaben.
Astroglide Gel: this is a slick gel formula with staying power. The thicker gel provides a cushioning feeling and helps relieve vaginal dryness. Astroglide Gel comes in in one size – 4 oz.
- Astroglide Gel Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Methylparaben, Glucono Delta Lactone, and Sodium Hydroxide.
Astroglide Sensitive Skin Gel: this is thick and smooth gel comes in an extra gentle formulation. It hydrates and smooths and is a great option if you have sensitive skin. Astroglide Sensitive Skin Gel has been allergy tested and does not contain any glycerin, parabens, fragrances or alcohol. Comes is one size – 3 oz.
- Astroglide Sensitive Skin Gel Ingredients: Purified Water, Xylitol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Pectin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, and Phenoxyethanol
Astroglide Warming Liquid: this option offers you the perfect mix of lubrication and stimulation. Astroglide Warming Liquid provides a warming and tingling sensation and comes in one size – 2.5 oz.
- Astroglide Warming Liquid Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Purified Water, Methylparaben, and Polyquaternium 15.
Astroglide Strawberry Liquid: this flavored lubricant entices your senses with the sweet smell and taste of strawberries. Comes in one size – 2.5 oz.
- Astroglide Strawberry Liquid Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Natural and Artifical Strawberry Flavor, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Saccharin, Methylparaben, Sodium Benzoate, and Citric Acid.
Astroglide Natural Liquid: this is a personal lubricant that is naturally-free from glycerin, fragrance, hormones, alcohol, and flavorings. This water-based formula contains Xylitol (a natural, sugar-free humectant that helps retain and absorb moisture). It also includes botanical ingredients such as Aloe Vera (which soothes and softens skin), Vitamins C and E (that offer antioxidant benefits), and Chamomile Flower Extracts (which have soothing and anti-bacterial properties). Astroglide Natural Liquid comes in one size – 2.5 oz.
- Astroglide Natural Liquid Ingredients: Purified Water, Xylitol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Potassium Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Phosphate (Vitamins C & E), Pectin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, and Phenoxyethanol.
Astroglide continues to be one of the best selling personal lubricants on the market. Many couples report that it’s slick formula lasts for a long time, requires less liquid per application, has a sweet, pleasant taste and enhances the comfort and ease of sexual activity. According to the manufacturer’s website:
- Astroglide Liquid, Warming Liquid, and Sensitive Skin gel can all be used with latex male condoms.
- Astroglide Strawberry Liquid is compatible with latex condoms, polyurethane condoms, polyisoprene condoms and female condoms.
- Astroglide Natural Liquid can be used with latex and polyisoprene condoms.
- Astroglide Gel is compatible with latex and polyurethane condoms as well as female condoms.
Astroglide’s two glycerin and paraben-free formulas can help reduce the burning and irritation that may occur with the use of traditional personal lubricants that contain glycerin and parabens. These formulas may also be good for menopausal women who may be more susceptible to chemicals due to the thinning of vaginal tissue caused by a decrease in hormone production.