Banana Peel And The 9 Methods To Treat Acne With It
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acnes’ breakout when the oil secreted from the sebaceous glands in the skin trap dirt and impurities and cells of dead skin which blocks the pores. Besides, there are other predisposing factors such as a poor diet, hormonal imbalance, hereditary factors, certain medication and even being exposed to constant stress that can lead to the outbreak of acne.
And these skin eruptions can affect anyone irrespective of sex or age, though they are more pronounced during adolescence. This translates into billions of dollars being spent by afflicted individuals in the US alone in treating acne with expensive antibiotics and topical creams. Though these medications do provide relief but they are only short lived. On the other hand there are safe, effective and natural DIY alternatives that get to the root of the problem and provide long lasting relief. In this write up we’ll look at banana peel to treat acne.
Inherent Beneficial Qualities Of Banana Peel
- Banana peel contains starch. This component helps to arrest the excess oil secreted by the sebaceous glands.
- It exhibits potent properties that fight against bacteria, microbes and infection.
- Banana peel, due to its exfoliating property, helps to remove dirt and other impurities from the skin, thus keeping skin pores free.
- Due to its anti-oxidizing property, banana peel acts against free radical thus preventing any skin damage.
- Banana peel contains magnesium, iron and calcium. These elements exert an anti inflammatory action and bring about symptomatic relief.
- Being rich in vitamins like A, B, C, and E, banana peel provide excellent nourishment to the skin.
- Banana peel also contains certain hydrating enzymes that keeps the skin adequately moisturized, smooth and supple thereby preventing any likelihood of scar formation and the eruption of fresh acne.
Using Banana Peel To Treat Acne
We are listing below some of the most effective ways you can use banana peel to get rid of acne. Pick one that suits you best and use it regularly.
Applying Banana Peel Directly
Procedure – Wash your face thoroughly with cold water and soap and dry off. Cut the peel of a ripe banana into small pieces and rub the white inner part of the peel gently on the acne affected area till it becomes dark. Repeat with another peel and continue for about 15 minutes. Leave the application on throughout the night and wash up only next morning. Repeat the application everyday for about two weeks. Keep in mind that the application needs to be done gently to avoid any further damage to your skin.
Banana Peel & Lemon
Besides having caustic properties that reduces pore size and dry out acne abrasion, lemon also exhibits properties that fight against bacteria, especially the p.acne strain.
Procedure – Take a ripe banana peel and mash it into paste. In a glass, squeeze some fresh lemon juice. Thoroughly mix equal portions of the mashed peel and lemon juice. Apply the mixture on the acne affected area with a cotton ball by gentle massage motions. Leave for about 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water and dry the area. Repeat the procedure regularly for optimum results.
Banana Peel & Turmeric
The curcumin ingredient of turmeric exhibits potent anti inflammatory action and is extremely effective in treating pimples, acne and dark spots. A banana peel and turmeric scrub is an effective way to treat acne, especially acne on the back and cystic acne.
Procedure – Make a paste from a ripe banana peel by mashing it properly. Next thoroughly mix equal portions of the mashed banana peel and turmeric powder and bring it to a consistent paste by adding water carefully. Massage gently on the acne affected area and leave for about 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and dry the area. Repeat procedure every second day to get rid of acnes. Use a non-oily moisturizer on the area if it feels too dry.
Banana Peel, Oatmeal & Sugar
Oatmeal by itself is an excellent exfoliating agent and when it is used in combination to treat acne, it also helps by soaking up the excess oil and providing a soothing effect. Sugar, on the other hand, by virtue of its physical structure, not only gets rid of dead cells from the skin but also other dirt and impurities thereby clearing the skin pores.
Procedure – Take a ripe banana peel, half cup of oatmeal and 3 tbs. of sugar and blend together till a smooth consistent paste is formed. Massage the mixture gently onto the acne affected area and leave it on for about 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and dry the area. Repeat the procedure twice to thrice weekly.
Use a mild non-oily moisturizer if the area feels dry after the application. But if the skin feels too dry, then it is better to avoid this application.
Banana Peel & Honey
The natural anti-inflammatory property of honey helps in reducing the redness and swelling of the skin caused by acne and it also exhibits the property of preserving the moisture content of the skin thus reducing the dryness which results as the treatment outcome.
Procedure – Make a paste of ripe banana peel. Thoroughly mix half tsp. of honey with 1 tbs. of the banana peel paste till a smooth consistency is achieved. Using circular motions, gently massage the mixture on the acne affected area. Leave the application on for about 20 minutes and then wash off with warm water and dry the area. Repeat the procedure till the acne is removed.
Use a non-oily moisturizer on the area if it feels too dry.
Banana Peel & Baking Powder
The baking powder component in this combination not only gets rid of excess oil from the pores of the skin but also helps in stopping scars and pigmentation from appearing.
Procedure – Take a ripe banana peel and mash it till a thick paste is formed. Now take 1 tbs. of the mashed banana peel and add half tbs. of baking powder to it. Add water to this mixture and stir continuously till a smooth thin paste is formed. Gently apply this mixture to the acne affected area with a cotton ball in circular motions. Wash off the application after 2 minutes with warm water and dry the area. Do not leave the application on for more than 2 minutes. Repeat the procedure once a day for a week. Use non-oily moisturizer if the area feels too dry. Alternately, baking soda can be used in place of baking powder.
Banana Peel & Aloe Vera
Another combination that works very effectively in treating acne on the back as well as cystic acne. This is due to the natural inherent properties of aloe vera in fighting bacteria, swelling and soothing the skin.
Procedure – Take a leaf of aloe vera and cut it along its length and take out the gel. Put this aloe vera gel and a peel of a ripe banana into a blender in a 1:1 ratio and blend for about 2 minutes till a smooth paste is formed. Apply this paste to the acne affected area and leave it on for about half an hour and then wash off with water and dry the area. Repeat the procedure twice daily to remove acne.
Banana Peel & Milk
Raw milk has excellent cleansing and exfoliating properties that penetrate deep into the skin. Milk not only gets rid of the excess oil from the pores of the skin but also keeps it from getting too dry thereby resulting in a well nourished skin tone.
Procedure – Wash face with cold water and dry. Take a few drops of milk on the palm and in gentle circular motions massage into the skin. Wipe off surplus milk with a cotton swab. Now take a piece of a ripe banana peel and gently scrub the white inner side on the acne affected area till color becomes dark. Repeat with another piece of banana peel for about 20 minutes. Leave for about 20 minutes and then wash off with warm water and dry the area. Repeat procedure regularly till results are achieved. Use a non-oily moisturizer if skin feels too dry.
Banana Peel & Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has excellent inherent properties that fight against bacteria, inflammation and infection, especially the p.acne strain. This household vinegar also helps in reducing the openings of the skin pores and provides acne related symptomatic relief.
Procedure – Make a smooth paste from a fresh ripe banana peel by blending it. Dilute half tsp. of apple cider vinegar with 1 tbs. of water. Now thoroughly mix 1 tbs. of the banana peel paste with 1 tbs. of diluted apple cider vinegar. Apply the banana peel and diluted apple cider vinegar mixture to the acne affected area and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Wash off with water and dry the area. Repeat the procedure till acne is removed.
Things To Keep In Mind
- You should understand that, although banana peel is a natural method to treat acne, but it may affect different individuals differently. So it best advised to do to a skin sensitivity test to find out whether you are allergic to it. This method is to be avoided if there is any redness or irritation.
- During the application process, the banana peel needs to be applied gently to avoid any aggravation or irritation to the acne. It is advisable to use a cotton ball to apply it rather than bare hands.
- Sticking to the time schedule for each application procedure is important. This will ensure that no adverse affects develop on the skin during the application procedure.
- For best results, use organic bananas as these are free from any toxic chemicals and harmful pesticides.
- Make sure that the banana peels are taken from those that are not too ripe and have turned black or from those that are green and still raw. The ideal bananas are those that have a yellow skin with brown spots.
- Remember getting rid of acne with banana peels does not happen overnight. The methods listed above need to be repeated regularly for at least two to three weeks for getting results. But even after prolonged application if no results are seen, then it is advisable to consult with a dermatologist.
In the above write up we have listed some of the effective topical home remedies that have the capability to get rid of acne. And when you combine a healthy diet with any of these acne removal methods, the results will be very encouraging. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day and avoiding foods that are high in carbohydrates, fats and sugars will go a long way in getting rid of acne and keeping your skin free from these skin eruptions.