Chai Hot Chocolate
- 120 calories,
- 3.5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat),
- 21 g carbohydrate,
- 4 g protein,
- 1 g dietary fiber,
- 65 mg sodium.
- 4 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 (4-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp. anise seed
- 2 – 4 (1/4-inch) slices fresh ginger, peeled*
- 2 cups water
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or soymilk
- 3 Tbsp. agave syrup or honey, or to taste
- Place cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, anise seed and ginger in medium saucepan, add 2 cups water, and place over medium-high heat. When water simmers, cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tea bags, cover and steep for 4 minutes. Remove tea bags, cover, and steep brewed tea with spices for 20 minutes. Strain to remove spices, and return spiced tea to saucepan.
- In small bowl, whisk cocoa with 1/4 cup of hot tea until dissolved, then add to tea. Mix in vanilla, and almond or soymilk. Heat chai over medium-high heat until steaming. Sweeten to taste then pour into mugs, or divide chai among 4 mugs and sweeten it to taste individually.
*Note: Ginger root varies in thickness. If you have a fat piece, 2 slices may be enough.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes