Chickpea and Butternut Squash Fritters with Field Greens
- Calories: 400 Kcal
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Protein: 17 g
- Fiber: 10 g.
- 2 cups (10 oz.) cubed butternut squash
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained
- 3 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil or extra virgin olive oil, divided
8 cups field greens (5 oz. pkg.)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted skinless hazelnuts
Yogurt Dill Sauce
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground white or black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For Yogurt Dill Sauce, in small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into small serving bowl and set aside.
- For Salad Dressing, in small bowl, combine lemon juice and oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For Chickpea and Butternut Squash Fritters, in large saucepan with a steamer basket, steam squash until tender, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer squash to food processor. Add chickpeas, flour, egg, scallions, garlic, sage, cumin and pepper flakes. Pulse until blended yet slightly chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Gently drop six scant 1/4-cup portions of mixture into pan and gently press into round patties with back of measuring cup or spatula. Don’t over crowd skillet. Sauté fritters until golden brown on bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Heat may need to be adjusted for optimal browning. Carefully turn over each fritter and sauté until other side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer fritters to plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Use remaining oil to sauté remaining six fritters. There should be 12 fritters in total.
- In large bowl, add salad greens. Stir salad dressing and pour over greens. Add hazelnuts and gently toss together.
- Arrange greens on large serving platter or four individual dinner plates. Arrange all fritters on top of greens if serving on platter or 3 fritters on each individual plate. Serve with Yogurt Dill Dressing on the side or drizzle on fritters and serve.
4 (3 fritters each) Serving