Crispy Noodles With Mixed Vegetables
- Energy: 245-184Kcals/1021-766KJ
- Carbohydrate: 37 – 27.5g
- Protein: 4.8 – 3.7g
- Fat: 8.16 – 6.1g (Saturated fat: 1.2 – 0.9g)
- Fibre-NSP: 2.9g – 2.2g
- Sugar: 5.2 – 3.9g
- Calcium: 54 – 41mg
- Pure vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 115g dried vermicelli rice noodles or cellophane noodles, broken into 7.5cm/3in lengths
- 115g yard-long beans or green beans, cut into short lengths
- 1in piece fresh root ginger, cut into shreds
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- 1½ cups fresh shiitake or button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into fine sticks
- 2 courgettes, cut into fine sticks
- a few Chinese cabbage leaves, coarsely shredded
- 75g/1 cup beansprouts
- 4 spring onions, cut into fine shreds
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp roughly torn coriander leaves
- Half-fill a wok with oil and heat it to 180°F. Deep fry the raw noodles, a handful at a time, for 1-2 minutes until puffed and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper. Carefully pour off all but 30ml/2 tbsp of the oil.
- Reheat the oil in the wok. When hot, add the beans and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger, red chilli, mushrooms, carrots and courgettes and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Chinese cabbage, beansprouts and spring onions to the wok. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the tamari, rice wine and sugar. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds.
- Add the noodles and coriander and toss to mix, taking care not to crush the noodles too much. Serve at once, piled up on a plate.