There are certain food substances that need to be watched out along with yoga practice in order to derive maximum benefits from each session. Besides, a diet that is conducive to the practice of Yoga and spiritual progress can be rightly termed ‘Yogic Diet‘
- Meat and fish of all types, including eggs are Rajasic food-stuffs. They excite the passionate nature of man.
- Processed and/or artificial foods, junk food, artificial sweeteners, soda
- Animal fats, margarine
- Fried foods
- Canned foods, except naturally canned tomatoes and fruit
- White flour, white sugar
- Garlic, onions, spicy foods are Tamasic food-stuffs. They fill the mind with inertia and anger.
- Stale or overly cooked foods
- Microwave foods: One short-term study found significant and disturbing changes in the blood of individuals consuming microwaved milk and vegetables. Eight volunteers ate various combinations of the same foods cooked different ways. All foods that were processed through the microwave ovens caused changes in the blood of the volunteers. Hemoglobin levels decreased and overall white cell levels and cholesterol levels increased. Lymphocytes decreased.
- Alcohol, tobacco, stimulants
- Foods that are genetically engineered. Modified plants or animals may have genetic changes that are unexpected and harmful.
- Foods that are eaten in a rush or in a disturbed environment
Tips to a Yogic Meal
If these dietary suggestions are combined with asana (physical postures), pranayama (breathing techniques), and meditation, you can derive maximum benefits.
Be Aware of what you feed your body.