French-style Spinach and Cheese Omelette
- 278 calories,
- 21 g total fat (8 g saturated fat),
- 3 g carbohydrate,
- 18 g protein,
- 1 g fiber,
- 341 mg sodium.
- 2 cups baby spinach, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Canola cooking spray
- In dry, medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook spinach, stirring often until leaves collapse and spinach is tender, about 4 minutes. Cool spinach on plate, then squeeze out most of its moisture. Finely chop spinach and place in small bowl. Place cheese in another bowl.
- Using fork, beat eggs, water and 3 or 4 grinds pepper just until egg yolks and whites are combined. Set aside.
- Set omelette pan or skillet with 7-inch bottom over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Coat pan lightly with cooking spray. Add oil and butter, lifting and swirling pan to coat lower sides. When butter stops foaming, pour in eggs. Using flexible spatula, push edges of set egg toward center of pan so unset eggs flow out. When top of omelette still has some unset egg in center, slide pan off heat. Sprinkle on cheese. With handle toward you, arrange spinach across center of omelette.
- Returning pan to heat with handle toward you, immediately use spatula to fold third of omelette near you over center. Lift, jerk sharply and tilt pan away from you so omelette slides forward. Using spatula, roll omelette over and slide it onto plate with seam side down. Serve immediately.