Indian Dal with Yogurt & Cucumbers
- Calories: 260 Kcal
- Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Fiber: 8 g.
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 2 tsp. garam masala *
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 cups hot water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, green part only
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads, warmed
*Note: If you do not have garam masala, use 1/2 tsp. each ground cardamom, coriander and cumin, 1/4 tsp. each ground cinnamon and black pepper, and 1/8 tsp. ground cloves.
- In large bowl, place lentils. Fill bowl with cold water. Using your fingers, stir lentils 3-4 times, then drain. Repeat 2-3 times, until water runs nearly clear when drained. Transfer lentils to large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, cumin and oil. Stir to coat ingredients with oil.
- Set saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until spices are fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add hot water, bring to boil, cover, and simmer until lentils are soft, 20 minutes; dal will thicken as it cools. Uncover and pour dal into wide, shallow bowl. Set aside until lukewarm, 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, divide dal among 4 small soup bowls. Top each with one-fourth of cucumber, scallions and dill, plus 1 tablespoon yogurt. Cut pitas into 6 wedges. Set each bowl on dinner plate, surround with pita wedges and serve.
- If desired, dal can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days. Before serving, warm in microwave or in covered pot over medium heat, stirring often.