Quinoa with Cauliflower & Broccoli
- Calories: 120 Kcal
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrate: 20 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, 1/2 cup onion and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Stir in herbs and sauté 2 minutes. Remove from stovetop and set aside.
- In strainer, place quinoa and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Using your hand, swish quinoa under running water for 2 minutes to remove bitter natural coating. Drain and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion. Sauté about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Increase heat to bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in vegetable mixture and combine well with quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.