Stufffed Tomatoes And Peppers
- Energy: 340Kcals/1411kj
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Fat: 25g. (Saturated fat: 2.65g)
- Fibre: 5.1g
- Sodium: 19mg
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 60ml/4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g/2oz/½ cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 75g/3oz/scant ½ cup long-grain rice, boiled and drained
- 15g/½ oz fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 15g/½oz fresh parsley, chopped
- 25g/1 oz/2 tbsp sultanas
- 45ml/3 tbsp ground almonds
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh herbs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190º C/375º F/Gas 5. Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the insides. Drain the halves and roughly chop the insides.
- Halve the peppers, leaving the cores intact. Scoop out the seeds and white pith. Brush the peppers with 15ml/1 tbsp of the oil and bake on a baking tray for 15 minutes. Place the peppers and tomatoes in an ovenproof dish and season with pepper.
- Fry the onions in the remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped almonds and fry for 1 minute more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rice, chopped tomatoes, mint, parsley and sultanas. Season well with pepper and spoon the mixture into the tomato and pepper halves.
- Pour 150ml/2/3cup boiling water around the tomatoes and peppers and bake, uncovered for 20 minutes. Scatter with the ground almonds and sprinkle with a little extra olive oil. Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until turning golden. Serve garnished with chopped fresh herbs.