Summer Vegetable Soup
- Calories 60,
- Protein 2g,
- Carbohydrate 9g,
- Total fat 2g,
- Saturated fat <1g,
- Monounsaturated fat 1g,
- Cholesterol 0mg,
- Sodium 311mg,
- Fiber 2g.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 4 plum (Roma tomatoes, peeled and seeded, diced) or use 1 can of petite diced tomatoes, no need to drain) *** I use 2-3 plum tomatoes and add I can of diced tomatoes seasoned, plus I do not drain tomatoes).
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups (32 fl oz) Vegetable stock or broth if you don’t prefer to make your own
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
***You can also cut up yellow squash or other veggies. (Or if you desire add Jimmy Dean’s precooked crumbled Turkey Sausage, or Cooked Chicken, or add pasta or beans, but that will change the calorie count so adjust).
- In large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds; do not let the garlic brown.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and cumin and sauté until the tomatoes are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Chop vegetables.
- Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer. Add the carrot and bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the grated lemon zest and cilantro. Season with the salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- Ladel the soup into individual bowls or mugs and serve immediately.