Sweet Potato Bean Soup
- Calories: 250 Kcal
- Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrate: 42 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Fiber: 10 g.
- 2 cartons (32 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb.(3-4 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15.5 oz.) cannellini (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil or parsley, coarsely chopped
In large pot over high heat, pour in broth and add sweet potatoes, onion, celery, tomato paste, paprika and cumin and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in beans and chickpeas. Cover and simmer until beans are heated through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Gently stir soup until well mixed and ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with basil or parsley and serve.
For creamy soup, purée a portion of the soup, return to the pot and combine well before serving.