Ten Vegetable Soup
- Calories: 70 Kcal
- Fat: 3 g (1 g sat fat)
- Carbohydrate: 9 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sodium: 253 mg.
- Extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp.
- Chopped green cabbage 3 cups , quartered and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- Cauliflower florets 1 cup , 1-inch pieces
- Leek 1 medium , sliced, use white and 1-inch of light green part
- Onion 1 small, chopped
- Carrot 1 medium, chopped
- Celery stalk 1 medium, chopped
- Salt added diced tomatoes 1 (14.5-oz.)
- Low-fat 4 cups , reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Yellow-fleshed potato 1 medium , diced
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley 1/4 cup
- Dried thyme 1 Tbsp.
- Packed cups Swiss chard or spinach 1½ , cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne, optional
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot with tight-fitting cover, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add cabbage, cauliflower, leek, onion, carrot and celery and stir to coat them with oil. Cook until cabbage is limp and onion translucent, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook gently until vegetables release their juices, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, broth, potato, parsley and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high until liquid boils, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer soup for 10 minutes. Add Swiss chard and simmer for 10 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper; let sit for 15 minutes before serving. If desired refrigerate for up to 4 days, reheating in covered pot over medium heat. Or divide cooled soup among sealable freezer bags and freeze. This soup keeps in freezer for up to 2 months.