A woman’s body needs special care during pregnancy. A change in a vertebral or cranial bone function and position can create imbalance to the surrounding muscles, ligaments and nerves. The body’s ability to communicate and function correctly decreases. Natural processes like child birth can then become harder than necessary and not as smooth sailing as we would like it to be.
The baby grows within the uterus, a snug sack that hangs from the pelvis via ligaments at the back, front and sides. A change in the position of the bones of the pelvis alters the uterus ligament tension and therefore changes the shape and tension within the uterus.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care Before Pregnancy
A more regular menstrual cycle and optimal uterine function.
- It prepares the body to be strong, supple, and balanced as possible to carry the pregnancy.
- Restoring proper nerve supply to reproductive organs has helped many couples who thought they were infertile.
Case studies of eleven female patients with histories of: one natural childbirth, two miscarriages, two failed in vitro fertilizations, and three failed artificial inseminations showed that after receiving chiropractic care, there were 11 successful pregnancies. Chief complaints that these women presented to the chiropractic office included: low back pain(one), infertility (eight), dysmenorrheal (two), ulcerative colitis (two), ankle pain (one) and neck pain (one). These women became pregnant within a period of one to 20 months after receiving chiropractic care.
This can help us conclude that chiropractic care may facilitate changes that result in improved function and physiology of the reproductive system and result in successful pregnancies and birth. ( source: http://welladjustedbabies.com/infertility-chiropractic/ )
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
According to recent studies, Chiropractic care may result in easier pregnancy including increased comfort during the third trimester and delivery, and reduced need for pain medications.
Other benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include…
This technique balances pelvic muscles and ligaments in the woman’s pelvis, removes constraint and allows the baby to get into the best possible position for birth. Preparing for a more comfortable pregnancy and delivery.
- 50% reduced need for analgesics (pain medication).
- 24% – 39% faster than average labor time.
- Relief of back pain during pregnancy.
- Significantly less likelihood of back labor (contractions and sharp pain felt in the lower back during labor).
- Significantly reduced utilization of epidurals, forceps, vacuum extraction, episiotomies, and Cesarean sections.
- Reduced likelihood of postpartum depression.
For more information on these research findings, please visit the official website of the International Chiropractic Pediatrics Association.
More on Pregnancy Care:
- Living With Changes
- Top 10 to Correcting Muscle Imbalance
- Approaches to Childbirth
- Exercise & In Vitro Fertilization